What are the differences between an official master's degree and a UAB-specific master's degree?

Our master’s degree is a UAB-specific master’s degree. In these studies, part of their subject matter is usually practical and the degree is issued by the Rector on behalf of the University. An official master’s degree serves as a bridge to access a PhD, start an academic career and is regulated by the National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation, an entity under the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport. Therefore, the official master’s degrees give access to the PhD, but not the UAB-specific master’s degree. However, when it comes to recruitment by private companies, although each company has its own selection criteria, they usually do not take into account whether the master’s degrees are official or UAB-specific.

The UAB-specific master’s degree are implemented on the initiative of the teachers themselves, who, subject to the university’s internal regulations, design the programmes and their implementation. Unlike the officials ones, who must be taught by university staff, the officers themselves can count on the participation of professionals and experts from various fields. In addition, they are approved by the university councils themselves, and are therefore subject to more flexible regulatory standards and are a quick way out to meet the demands of business on universities and future professionals.

As for tuition fees, officials are subject to credit fees set by the Ministry of Education and the Autonomous Communities, while the amount of the fees is determined by the universities themselves. The own ones are usually more expensive because they are self-financing.


The master's degree consists of 60 ECTS credits. What are ECTS credits?

ECTS stands for European Credit Transfer System and is the standard adopted by all universities in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) to guarantee the homogeneity and quality of the studies they offer.

An ECTS credit takes into account, in addition to the teaching hours, all the activities of the students in the learning process (hours of study and development of work and practice).

When can I enroll in the Master's degree program?

Every year the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona opens the registration period in February. Once you have received the acceptance to be able to take the master’s degree from the coordination, the first step is to register by paying 30.21€ and the second step is to register by paying one or two instalments.

Are there Scholarships and financial aid available for the Master's degree?

The Master’s degree or UAB does not award direct scholarships, but in this section you can find information on calls for grants, scholarships, prizes, subsidies or student loans for the university community.

Are the classes at the UAB campus in Bellaterra?

The Faculty and Postgraduate School are located on the UAB campus in Bellaterra. However, a few years ago, the Master’s degree decided to transfer the theoretical classes to Barcelona, specifically to the UAB – Casa Convalescència, where other postgraduate studies are also taught, for the convenience of professors and students. On the other hand, the editing of the projects of the students’ documentaries takes place in the premises of Institut RTVE and Estudio DELA. Therefore, students must travel to the Bellaterra Campus only for bureaucratic and/or academic purposes.

Are the lessons in the morning or in the afternoon?

First half of the course (October to February): about 70% of the theoretical classes are in the afternoon, from 4 pm to 8 pm. The rest are in the morning, from 10.00h to 14.00h and it is usually because some teachers, usually those who come from outside, have a better schedule in the morning.
The classes of project development and production dossier elaboration are always on Friday mornings, from 10 am to 2 pm.

Second half of the course (March to July): depends on the filming of each group of students. The tutorials for direction and script support, photography, sound and editing are set up according to the shootings and have a flexible schedule. During the months of June and July, the different groups of students enter to the editing room of image and sound. They are usually ten days and work full time for eight hours.

I am from Colombia and I have already studied the master's degree, can I have it approved in my country?

The Ministry of Education of Colombia has issued a decree that allows the homologation in its country of its own degrees issued abroad by institutions accredited as high quality and such is the case of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (where the studies of Master in Theory and Practice of Creative Documentary Documentary belong).
In the following link you can find the resolution, and in it you can find a contact email.

At the moment, we are not aware that this can be done in other countries, but we hope that it will be possible in the future since Colombia has opened up this option.

Is it possible to attend festivals or seminars outside the city during the course?

Yes, we give one week off twice during the course so that students who wish to attend can do so voluntarily. From the coordination we think that these two events are very interesting to complete knowledge and meet other professionals in the sector:

Festival Punto de Vista in Pamplona (Navarra). In mid-February. Students receive free accreditation to attend the festival.

– Seminar Territorios y Fronteras UPV-EHU in Bilbao (Euskadi). In mid-June. The students receive a scholarship that discounts 50% of the course fee and they also have a discount on their accommodation.